This early textile mill village situated along the Historic Haw River is just 3 miles north of downtown Burlington off Highway 62. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Glencoe Cotton Mill complex consists of the mill production facilities, the Company Store and Administrative offices of the mill president (the Textile Heritage Museum), a barber shop (private residence), Baptist Church (active), and individually restored houses owned by private residents.
The village was built between 1880 and 1882 on 105 acres of land along the river. Glencoe was developed and managed by James H. Holt, son of textile pioneer, Edwin M. Holt, who would become one of the most influential textile entrepreneurs of the South throughout the nineteenth century. The main product manufactured within the mill was plaid cotton flannel material, and then was shipped to finishing mills all over the United States.
Since its closure in 1954, Glencoe continues to be a study of historic preservation, and remains one of the best complete preserved 19th century textile mill villages in the southeastern United States. The overall property is on the study list for potentially becoming a National Historic Landmark.
The Textile Heritage Museum and Alamance Parks Department Northern Division Office serve as visitor and information centers for the history and recreation about the village and waterfront. Historical interpretive markers are positioned throughout the Glencoe Village for visitors to learn more about the people who lived and worked in Glencoe during its prosperity. There are hiking trails, kayak and canoe accesses, picnic areas, and public fishing along the Haw River. A variety of companies currently reside within the mill complex and are tenants of Hedgehog Holdings, LLC, a property management and development company, which owns the Glencoe Mill complex.