Area History

The Sissipihaw, a Native American tribe, first inhabited the area that, today, is Alamance County.

In 1701 English explorer John Lawson visited the region and described the region the land as “extraordinarily rich” and that no man could have any reason to dislike it.

Germans settled in what is now western Alamance in 1740, establishing their own school.

In 1756, Scotch-Irish settlers organized the area’s first Presbyterian church in Hawfields. Alamance County was named after Great Alamance Creek, site of the Battle of Alamance.

On May 16, 1771, a group of backcountry farmers called the Regulators fought against Royal Governor William Tryon and the North Carolina militia.

Although the Regulators lost, their tactics would later serve as a model for the colonists during the Revolutionary War.

In 1849, Alamance County formed from Orange County.

During the 19th century, Alamance County was a hub for the textile industry. The most notable textiles were plaids and corduroy. “Alamance Plaids” or “Glencoe Plaids” were used in everything from clothing to tablecloths. The town of Haw River was once known as the “Corduroy Capital of the World.”

Alamance County