North Carolina Company Shops StationAddress: 101 N. Main Street, Burlington, NC Website: http://www.ncrr.com/development/development.htm
Located in Downtown Burlington, the 18,000 square foot building is Alamance County’s passenger station. The City of Burlington’s Police Department occupies some of the provided office space. Instead of being demolished for a new building, Burlington’s former engine house has a new lease on life. Built in the 1800s to provide space for maintenance on train engines, the building has sat unused for years. As part of the North Carolina Railroad Company’s (NCRR) Burlington Engine House Redevelopment program, the building has undergone restoration and renovations. The Company Shops Station was opened for passenger activity in July 2003. A Formal unveiling was held in August 2003.
Railroad History in Burlington*:
- 1855: the first “iron horse” arrives in Alamance County and is called the “Eight Wonder of the World.”
- 1855-1860: Company Shops, later know as Burlington, is built in alamance County to supply the needs of the railroad company, including rail car and track repair operation.
- 1887: Company Shops is renamed Burlington.
- 1918: Fire guts many of the historic Burlington buildings that make up Company Shops. Only the Engine House remains.
- 2003: The last renaming building of the NCRR Company Shops, this 18,000 square foot building was formerly an engine house.
*Source: North Carolina Railroad Company
24-hour Operational Train Station
Contact Amtrak 800-USA-RAIL or online at www.amtrak.com
National Train Day